Chilli con carne meatballs with sweet peppers & black beans
Cooks In40 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 654 33%
Fat 16.8g 24%
Saturates 4.6g 23%
Sugars 12.3g 14%
Salt 1g 17%
Protein 39.4g 79%
Carbs 86.8g 33%
Fibre 17.2g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 160g brown basmati rice
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh coriander
- 200g lean minced beef
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 1 400g tin black beans
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 lime
- Cook the rice in a pan of boiling salted water over a medium heat for 25 minutes, or until tender, then drain well. Tip back into the pan, season with black pepper, cover with a lid and keep to one side.
- Meanwhile, trim and finely slice the spring onions, then halve, deseed and roughly chop the pepper. Pick the coriander, finely chopping the leaves and stalks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide saucepan over a medium heat, add the sliced spring onion, pepper and coriander stalks and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the beef into a mixing bowl, add the paprika, chilli powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper and mix together well. Using wet hands, roll the mixture into 6 little balls.
- Add the tomatoes to the saucepan along with ½ a tin’s worth of water, breaking the tomatoes up with a spoon as you go.
- Bring to the boil then drain and add the black beans.
- Preheat the grill to high. Prick the chillies and place on a baking tray under the hot grill for 10 minutes, or until blackened, turning often.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the meatballs and cumin seeds, then fry for 4 minutes, or until browned all over, stirring often.
- Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and the meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Fold the chopped coriander leaves through the rice, then divide between your plates. Top each with the meatballs and beans, 1 blackened chilli, 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, and 1 wedge of lime for squeezing over.