Winter ginger, pear and almond cake
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 456 23%
Fat 20g 29%
Saturates 8g 40%
Sugars 60.8g 68%
Protein 5.1g 10%
Carbs 62.3g 24%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range egs
- 220 g ground almonds
- CARAMELISED GINGER PEARS
- 300 g ginger
- 1 vanilla pod
- 550 g caster sugar
- 4 pears
- 20 g butter
By Dean McClumpha
- For the pears, peel and finely grate the ginger. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, then place it all into a pan.
- Add 400g of the sugar and 700ml of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for a few minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Using a spoon, carefully lower the pears into the hot liquid and simmer for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Remove the pears from the liquid and set aside to cool.
- Line the base of a 25cm springform cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the remaining 150g sugar and 100ml of water in a pan and place over a high heat, simmering for about 15 minutes until it turns a dark golden brown.
- Stir in the butter until you get a caramel, then pour it into the cake tin.
- Cut the cooled pears into slices and carefully arrange them in the warm caramel.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- For the cake, beat the butter and sugar with a whisk until smooth (an electric one will be best for this).
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add the almonds and mix to combine.
- Pour the cake mixture over the pears and bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and carefully flip upside down to serve.